The Global Obesity Epidemic
Obesity is considered the number one most serious health issue facing the developed world.
We have filtered through an avalanche of information on obesity to offer a global round up of relevant news, studies, research and data. It makes for sobering reading.
- Globally there are more than one billion overweight adults and at least 400 million of these are obese.
- More than 40 million children under the age of five where overweight in 2010 .
- An adult (aged 20 or older) who has a BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2 is considered overweight.
- An adult (aged 20 or older) who has a BMI of ≥ 30 kg/m2 is considered obese. READ MORE
Prevention & Intervention
- Diabetes can contribute to illness, disability, poor quality of life and premature death.
- Obesity and being overweight pose a major risk for chronic diseases including Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stroke and certain forms of cancer.